Book an Exhibition
The Carle organizes numerous picture-book art exhibitions, drawing from both loans and from our growing permanent collection. While we are committed to sharing art, our tours are limited due to the fragile nature of works on paper.
We receive frequent inquiries about borrowing exhibitions and individual objects. To facilitate the process, please review the information below about our loan policy.
When submitting a request, please keep in mind the following:
- In order to give us enough time to process your request and properly prepare the artwork for travel, loan requests should be made no less than 12 months before the objects are scheduled to ship. Requests made with less than six months lead time are subject to staff availability and may be subject to an expedited processing fee of 20% of costs.
- Loans are generally made for a period of 3 to 4 months, but no less than one month. All loans, whether individual items or a full exhibition, are subject to a loan fee.
- Loan requests should include an A.A.M. Standard Facility Report for the borrowing venue along with a formal request letter including the name and dates of the exhibition, a description of the exhibition, and the object(s) requested.
- For loans of original art, borrowing venues must meet the following minimum requirements for climate, lighting control, and security: ability to control and maintain a stable environment (temperature of 70 degrees F ±2, relative humidity of 50% ±5%), light levels no more than 5-7 foot candles depending on the specific objects on loan, and 24-hour security monitoring.
- In some instances, if the borrowing venue does not meet the necessary climate and/or lighting requirements, The Carle may be able to lend high-quality digital reproductions instead of original illustrations. Borrowers are responsible for the full cost of making digital prints, matting, and framing.
Borrowers pay a participation fee to The Carle for each booking and are responsible for the cost of crating and round-trip shipping OR shipping to the next location on an exhibition tour. All exhibitions require a deposit equal to 50% of the participation fee at contract signing. Expenses of installation, promotion, and public programs are paid for by the borrower.