Book an Exhibition
The Carle organizes numerous picture book art exhibitions, drawing from both loans and from our growing permanent collection. We are committed to sharing them. Since our exhibitions feature works on paper, which have strict conservation requirements, we can offer only limited tours.
We receive frequent inquiries about borrowing exhibitions and individual objects. To facilitate the process, we hope the information below will provide helpful information about our loan policy and review process.
If you are interested in borrowing an exhibition or borrowing an object, please address your inquiry to Ellen Keiter, Chief Curator, at email@example.com or (413) 559-6320.
When submitting a request, please keep in mind the following:
- In order to give us enough time to process your request and properly prepare the artwork for travel, loan requests should be made as far in advance as possible, ideally no less than 12 months before the objects would ship. Requests made with less than six months lead time are subject to staff availability and may be subject to an expedited processing fee of 20% of costs.
- Loans are generally made for a period of 3-4 months but no less than one month. All loans, whether individual items or a full exhibition, are subject to a loan fee.
- Loan requests should include an A.A.M. Standard Facility Report for the borrowing venue(s) along with a formal request letter including the name and dates for the exhibition, and a description of the exhibition or objects you are interested in borrowing.
- For loans of original art, borrowing venues must meet the following minimum requirements for climate, lighting control, and security: ability to control and maintain a stable environment (temperature of 70 degrees F ±2, relative humidity of 50% ±5%), light levels no more than 5-7 foot candles depending on the specific objects on loan, and 24-hour security monitoring.
- In some instances, if the borrowing venue does not meet the necessary climate and/or lighting requirements, The Carle may be able to lend high-quality digital reproductions instead of the original illustrations. Borrowers would be responsible for the cost of making the digital print and for matting and framing it.
Borrowers pay a participation fee to The Carle for each booking and are responsible for round-trip shipping OR shipping to the next location on an exhibition tour. All exhibitions require a deposit equal to 25% of the participation fee at contract signing. Expenses of installation, promotion, and public programs are paid for by the borrower.
The Carle on the Road
Since its inception in 2002, The Carle has traveled dozens of picture book exhibitions to museums nationally and abroad. Some exhibiting institutions include the Contemporary Jewish Museum (California); the Figge Art Museum (Iowa); the High Museum of Art (Georgia); the Katonah Museum of Art (New York); the Montclair Art Museum (New Jersey); the National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature (Texas); the New-York Historical Society (New York); the Society of Illustrators (New York); and the Tacoma Art Museum (Washington).